Thursday, June 29, 2006

4NATLEE*

...Or in long hand, "For Natalie"

This is a post dedicated to finding my dear HK friend Natalie, who has been so kind as to have kept in touch and wrote me proper handwritten letters over the years (my God, it's almost exactly a decade when I really count up the years since we first met!!), sharing with me her thoughts and experiences of her life in the HK corporate world, as well as patiently listening to my moanings and groanings about work and study problems and gave me sage advice on these.

After about a couple of years' gap when we've both kinda lost touch with each other, I began receiving lovely birthday and Christmas cards from you again over the last two years or so. Extremely unfortunately I have failed to return these really heart-warming correspondences... which is an extremely extremely HEINOUS CRIME, and you must be REALLY MAD at me for not returning your mail, and probably thought that either I've moved or I've forgotten you already, and neither of this are true!

Please please hear me out... I wanted to write to you so much but you unfortunately have not included your return address on the envelope in your new snailmails, and because I know that you have moved, or were preparing to move, at least a good few years back I'm not sure to what address I could write to you anymore.

Each time I received your lovely posts I sincerely prayed that you have included a return address, but unfortunately each time I just found my own address on the top of the evelope... I have tried so many different ways of trying to see if I could reach you in other ways - I have written to one of your previous addresses but have not heard back but I knew it was probably not valid anymore... I have emailed numerous times to your old work address (the company where we met during the halcyon days of 1997!), and although they haven't been bounced back, I didn't actually get any replies either... I tried also to email your buddy in this same workplace but then my emails got bounced back from her address. I have also once spent nights trying to see if I could Google you on the Internet and perhaps get your new work address so that I could send you either email or post, and unfortunately I've never managed to locate a Natalie that fits your profile....

So I really hope that you might be able to chance upon this humble blog and realise I'm talking about you... You'll probably recognise me because I guess there aren't that many HK Chinese girl from Ireland who got a summer job in Hong Kong in 1997, and who have been sooooo lucky to meet you and the rest of the gang who have been soooo generous and kind to me. Thank you for your gold Cross pen that you and W gave me as a farewell gift which I absolutely treasure.

I hope your wrists are not giving you as much trouble these days, and I hope your dedication in pursuing all these extra courses paid off and you got your well-deserved additional qualifications. I hope you get a bit more chance to relax now and have gotten your health back and maybe could still indulge in a game of tennis now and again? I hope you managed to avoid and not be bothered anymore by the clingy and gossipy you-know-who colleague... (that is, if you're still working at the same company of course...)

I hope I haven't said too much but I hope I have said enough that you recognise yourself and me. And if so please please realise that I've never forgotten you and it's never my intention to not write back - in fact it was the complete opposite as I miss our conversations and sincerely wish that you haven't given up on me yet due to the unwitting silence on my part.... Please please forgive me.

If you see this and realise who I am and are not mad at me anymore, perhaps you could write me a quick message below, or could you write to me again at my home address and this time put your own snailmail address on the back? I soooooo hope that we could keep properly in touch again... and thank you sooooo much for not forgetting me after all these years and still care enough to ask me how I am...

I'm getting on okay I guess, though not too happy either, still searching for my ideals in life I guess... I have so much to tell you, and I really wonder how you are keeping too? I so much look forward to being able to catch up with you properly about how you've been over the past few years and get all your latest news...

I do hope that you'd see this.... even though the chances may be infinitessmally small as I'm not sure if you'd read blogs at all...

* "4NATLEE" is the personalised number plate of a brilliant red sports car given to the female lead called "Natalie" as a gift for forgiveness by the guy in the very last scene of an American movie whose title and plot I've loooong forgotten, but which is completely apposite to my quest to find my dear friend not only because of the same name, but also because I hope you will indeed forgive me and we will indeed have a happy ending like that film (though not about the romance part of course!!)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At Thu Jun 29, 01:51:00 a.m. IST, Blogger serendipity said...

=)

i'm sure ur friend will not mind.

do pray that one day you will finally get to her.

 
At Thu Jun 29, 03:56:00 p.m. IST, Blogger laichungleung said...

I think it's probably Natalie intention not to be found.

But good luck in your quest for Natalie and the meaning of life. I think I gave up the latter long time ago, at least I think I've put those existential crap in the freezer for now.

~~~~~~~~

On a totally unrelated note: I am totally surprised to be on your sidebar.

Have a great summer.

 
At Thu Jun 29, 09:11:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thanks S for your kind wishes. I hope she will see this one day... don't know what day that'd be but at least it's out there in the universe.

Lai, thanks for stopping by. That actually crossed my mind too, and I wouldn't have felt so guilty if I think that's what her wish was, but then in her cards she'd ask me to tell her about my news and all that so I do think she wants to re-establish contact, but it's just that she probably forgot I don't really have her new address because as I said we lost touch a few years ago...

Hmmm, the meaning of life... I don't think it's something as deep that I'm looking for, but more "superficial" things like finding my true vocation (at the moment I'm wondering if it should be multiple or singular...). I too wish I could put such "existential crap in the freezer" but as it concerns the work I do day in day out I guess I won't be happy until it's sorted.

About blogrolling you, it's just a list of blogs I enjoy reading, even though I tend to be a "lurker" on some of them in that I haven't contributed on the comments... yet. But I like your blog's wry humour. Keep up the good work!

 
At Wed Jul 05, 07:12:00 a.m. IST, Anonymous augustine said...

I have mixed feelings when I read your post. All through my life, I have switched at least 9 schools and it is insanely difficult to keep in touch with the people who have crossed path...
And it seems to me that I am the only one who cared about my old fellows. I would do things like Natalie did for you...except, slowly no one returns my mail...

My grandfather has many friends that lived abroad, and as old as he was(he was 103years old), cards and flowers still flood into our house during Christmas, New Years... These are the people he hasn't met for decades, but they still care about each other and maintained valuable friendships that I am so jealous of...

It's difficult, and sometimes, a burden for people of my age..first because we are young, and also because we are so materialistic and we want to build relationships base on who's who...(and indeed, not to be too self-absorbed, I've been to some of the best and most prestigous schools in the World..)

Perhaps I don't possess the charm my grandfather did...>_<

 
At Sun Jul 09, 04:41:00 a.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Sorry Augustine for not being able to respond earlier as I'm right now in Norway on a conference trip!! I'm returning to Dublin later today though and so just thought I'd do some blog updating, and am very glad to see your comments...

I also found that many of my kindred spirits live abroad and it's a pity my friends and I couldn't get together as often as we'd like. But there is a Chinese saying about true friendships between noble men are light and clear like water. So I guess it's the quality not the quantity of contact that counts. People also have a tendency to drift in and out of one's life because of their own personal circumstances, and I must confess I'm one of those really disorgnaised people who are not great in keeping in touch with the genuinely good people in my life (as my post here shows -_-"...), however it doesn't mean I've stopped caring about my really nice friends...

So I hope you haven't lost heart - you're still young and you've loads of time to find people who "get" you. At least you've the wisdom to look for quality, non-superficial people as your friends and I'm sure you'll find them eventually :o)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?