Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Attempted Break-in... Epilogue

After the high drama of Monday morning, life settles into the mundane business of securing our home and hearth. The Gardai never found those fellas who tried to break into our house, and recommended us instead to install further screw-type locks on our windows and glass doors. My step-dad went around and had a chat with the neighbours, and found out that actually, one other family (the son of the supermarket tycoon) also got robbed sometime ago - in this case the guys actually took the whole glass pane from out of its window frame in the front window of the study and climbed in and helped themselves. The alarm wasn't set off at all because the actual frame remained intact and wasn't moved.

Christ almighty, robbers these days must be learning their tricks from Tom Cruise or something!

The most eerie thing that happened afterwards was that my younger brother, when coming home from work yesterday, found that there was a car with darkened windows staying outside our house, and it's only after a while that they drove away (I still have to get the proper low-down on this from him though - how could he not have noted down their number-plate?! And the whole thing really sounds just a tad too cop-thrillerish to be honest).

To be honest though I was a wee bit shaken by the whole thing, after all I think one guy has seen me and when I was leaving for work yesterday I was looking about me to see if there are any suspicious characters. I can't imagine what somebody who actually suffered through an actual robbery must have felt like, and I think our neighbours (both the Chinese family friend as well as the tycoon's son) are very brave for having lived through it and not to have it visibly affect their lives.

But friends are the best thing that helped remedy my overblown fears, of course! Having coffee with K yesterday helped me get over it - I began to see the funny side of things when I recounted what happened to her as the whole thing turned into a bit of an anecdote. I mean, What stupid theives! How useless are the Gardai! How gross yet how hilarious to discover your parents naked in an emergency! How lucky for my family that I am an insomniac! Okay... I guess the whole thing IS funny. K related also the story of a friend of a friend whose house got robbed a grand total of 6 times because he has a rare car and the theives went to his house a total of 6 times to try to find his keys... I'm not sure if this is a new variety of "suburban legend" because wouldn't it be just a whole lot easier to hot-wire the car?? I mean, what if the guy went to sleep with his car key?

Anyway, I stayed home to work today, because my mum was saying that if I left for work then when I come back and see anyone suspicious I should go to our neighbour's house and ask them to go with me to open the front door... It's just a whole lot easier to stay at home and "house-sit" and having my mobile close to me at all times. Anyway, my parents are back now with a window systems type sales guy who, after having checked our windows and glass doors, quoted us a whopping price of 6,000 euros to replace the lot!! (While coming up with his estimate he cheerfully told us to watch his company DVD - "It would only take youse eight minutes!" - of course we didn't bother).

Whilst we won't be getting our windows replaced, we're installing motion-sensors in our backgarden (we used to have them in our previous house actually but don't know why we didn't get around to getting these for the new house). My mum was talking about having a guard dog but I completely voted against it because I have heard enough stories of rottweilers and such like biting off the faces of women and children (like that French woman who had to have the pioneering face-replacement surgery recently), and I don't want to see my little sis and bro hurt nor indeed our neighbours' kids. Anyway, the neighbourhood is also a bit more vigilant as well. There are talks of installing a gate to our estate entrance, though I'm not sure how practical that'd be. In any case, it's the construction yard at the back of our estate that we're more concerned about, and I'm not sure if we'd know who we should talk to about securing that place...

Anyway, the whole thing's made me yearn all the more for my own apartment, yet I never get the chance to get at least my mortgage approval sorted, even though I've been browsing all these cool stores online, stores that are actually NOT in Ireland so all I could do was drool (like MOMA, Neiman Marcus, Crate and Barrel, and Hong Kong's G.O.D. - the last I only learnt about from a Canadian-Chinese friend when I visited her in Vancouver back in April). I even have an Excel file now comparing prices and dimensions of favourite pieces of furniture across multiple websites, and am itching to just buy the whole lot rather than keep having my dream items stored on wish lists and online shopping bags because I have not yet found a place to put them in... In the meantime I could only satisfy my "interior-decorating" urges by revamping the look of this blog... sad eh??

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At Thu Jun 22, 11:38:00 a.m. IST, Anonymous Nana said...

「 In the meantime I could only satisfy my "interior-decorating" urges by revamping the look of this blog... sad eh?? 」

怎會呢!替這部落格扮靚靚是有自足價值的。^_____^

 
At Fri Jun 23, 09:14:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thanks very much for your kind words ar :)

Do you have a blog as well? If not, would you think of getting one?

 
At Sun Jun 25, 12:08:00 p.m. IST, Blogger serendipity said...

heydee!

thanks for dropping by my blog. i've blogrolled you.

=)

 
At Sun Jun 25, 01:56:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thanks a mil' for visiting too :D

I saved yours under my "Blogs I read" bookmark folder earlier, but I'll also just blogroll you now ;P

Look forward to reading your new Serendipity posts!

 
At Sun Jun 25, 06:29:00 p.m. IST, Anonymous augustine said...

wow, that sounded just like scenes from a movie. @@;; I hope you feel better...(?)

I always want to revamp my houses/apartments and my blogs but I am never satisfied with the results...I dream of a house like those on ELLE magazines. = =;;

 
At Mon Jun 26, 02:43:00 a.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thanks Augustine for your really kind wishes, yes my family and I are fine now :) We've finished installing motion sensors and extra lighting in our backgarden and beefed up our alarm system, but these are just precautions and we haven't turned our home into a fortress... yet! I'm determined we're not going to let a siege mentality set in...

Ah, glad to find another interior-designer-at-heart! I know what you mean about wanting to keep fiddling with the design... but I like your current blog look with the star-burst patterned header. Very cool-looking!

Haha, I also drool about Elle homes as well ;P I don't need a big space but I do want it to be filled with choice pieces of furniture... so I guess I'd just have to keep working hard to earn the dosh...

 
At Mon Jun 26, 04:49:00 a.m. IST, Anonymous Nana said...

No, cos I don't have the time to write articles and update frequently.
I'd love to wander those blogs, read the posts and leave a few messages whenever and wherever it's appropriate. Haha.

 
At Thu Jun 29, 12:23:00 a.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

That's a wise strategy indeed Nana, as you can see from all these copying and pasting of my comments from other blogs, that even though this blog is meant to be about my so-called unique views and experiences of the world etc., but I've been very lazy in creating my own content and find myself instead spending all my energies responding to others' posts on other blogs! Others' discussions and essays are sooooo much more interesting than what I can come up with myself... oh well... I have much to learn from the established bloggers still.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?