Friday, July 20, 2007

My New Home...

I'm really, really proud of my new home... After years of yearning and months of nail-biting anticipation, I was finally able to realise my dream! Some important dates in this long saga:

Moved out of family home and into rented flat in mid-July, 2006
First mortgage approval obtained in October, 2006
Deposit placed on first apartment in the first week of November, 2006
Sales fell through on first apartment in February, 2006
Deposit placed on second apartment in late February, 2006
Contracts signed and exchanged on 14th March, 2007
Official move-in on 29th March, 2007

So much frustration and worry and heartache were hidden behind the above dates... but they are all water under the bridge now as I finally got what I wanted :o)

When I was very young, I dreamt of being an interior designer, and I'm so fortunate to be able to put my childhood dream into practice in my own apartment after all these years. I scoured dozens upon dozens of interiors magazines and homeware catalogues, developed Excel spreadsheets of homeware budgets and stored tens of hundreds of photos in creating my mood boards.... Oh not to mention of course being TOTALLY ADDICTED to house-hunting shows like Relocation, Relocation, A Place in the Sun and Escape into the Country; and home makeover shows like Changing Rooms, Extreme Makeover Home Edition and DIY SOS; as well as homeware shows like Flog It! and the Antique Roadshow.... My, the amount of TV I watched over the course of the last nine months is absolutely frightening considering what I should have been doing!!!

Am glad though that all those efforts have not been for nought... Friends loved my new place and I was even able to inspire one of my best friends to begin her own flat-hunting journey!

Before....

(I couldn't imagine any sane person going for blood red curtains in their living room until I've seen these with my own eyes!!! Yuck!!!! The sad thing is that the view from the windows is absolutely gorgeous as the apartment overlooks the green, so I couldn't understand why anyone would want to obscure the view with such vile net curtains!)

After....


(Ta-da! My makeover using beautiful Laura Ashley pieces and fabrics! The coffee table actually is the same one as in the Before picture, but I re-painted it with pale ivory eggshell to fit the rest of the colour scheme... The gorgeous pot of orchids beside the telly is from my first year students; the lovely bouquet of lilies and roses in the two vases are from my second year students)
Before...
(The radiators were located in the most inconvenient of places in the open-plan living-cum-dining area, which means entire walls were being wasted....)

After....


(An electrician friend of my parents helped me move those bulky radiators out of the way so that I was able to put in a full dresser - one of my proudest bargains obtained from a department store sale that let me house all my beloved crockery - as well as have room enough for me to install a new fireplace! This wall thus became my feature wall - home is where the hearth is, after all - and the wallpaper is from Laura Ashley, another of my serendipitous buys that worked out really well.)

HOME SWEET HOME!

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Sun Jul 22, 02:01:00 a.m. IST, Blogger Lori said...

Wow your place is gorgeous! It looks like a photo from a magazine

 
At Thu Jul 26, 01:43:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thanks very much! Your kind comment made my day :)

 
At Thu Aug 27, 05:22:00 p.m. IST, Blogger myblahblahblah said...

echo "home is where the hearth is" your apt is just like those pics from ideal home maagazine! :)

 
At Fri Aug 28, 06:39:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thanks so much Myblahblahblah for your lovely comment :) I'm really flattered by your kind comparison.

 
At Fri Nov 23, 05:20:00 p.m. GMT, Anonymous Selena Manchester said...

Congratulations on getting your new home! You did a great job in making the house look wonderful. Just like you, I also like the show “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition”. I really love watching build a home in 7 days. Not to mention I enjoyed them demolishing a house just to build it from nothing again. I would like to see pictures of what you did to your house. If you still want to be an interior designer, then go for it!

 
At Mon Nov 26, 02:23:00 p.m. GMT, Anonymous Carmen Monrovia said...

Oh! It’s indeed a beautiful makeover. Though I don’t really have an idea what it looks like before, I can say that you really did a great job here. We’ve just moved on our new house a month ago and we’re currently working on our daughter’s bedroom. Since my daughter loves to read books, it would really be nice to display all her collections just like you did there.

 
At Thu Jan 17, 06:38:00 p.m. GMT, Anonymous Erick Bush said...

Definitely, your fireplace will be the center of attraction in that room! Well, a fireplace was one of the “a must” features we truly consider when we’re buying a house. Not only does it have great benefits in terms of heat efficiency, but it also serves as one of the major embellishments in a house.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?