Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Savage Chickens: Align and Deliver Cartoon

Savage Chickens: Align and Deliver Cartoon
Sometimes it's funny how several recent unrelated posts from different blogs I follow all chime in on the same subject - in this case, plagiarism. In addition to the brilliant Savage Chicken toon above, see also Diuman Park and Central St Martin Student.
It's tragic though how some people don't seem to understand the difference between plagiarism and imitation - but is precisely something which has been drummed into me since my undergrad years. Again, I am quoting my own response over at Diuman Park on one of the commenter's lines (again, my dratted typos in the original are amended here):

"抄襲與inspired by,其實一線之差"
Yes, but that line is a a very clear line: plagiarism means you did not acknowledge the originator of the idea at all; "inspired by" means that you are.

Sometimes all it takes is a simple acknowledgement to turn an insult to originality into the sincerest form of flattery.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Wed Aug 01, 04:58:00 a.m. IST, Anonymous Julie K in Taiwan said...

Too true.

 
At Fri Aug 03, 03:44:00 a.m. IST, Blogger laichungleung said...

You are so good you are beginning to quote your own words. I am green with envy.

Not that I condone plagiarism, but there are times good is better than second rate originality. And people take a chance and swallow their own pride.

 
At Fri Aug 03, 06:19:00 a.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

"You are so good you are beginning to quote your own words. I am green with envy."

Haha, thank you for puncturing my false sense of vanity, I know when I started quoting myself that I am just asking to be taken down a peg or two ;)

Yeah, I'd too rather have good honest imitation than third-rate originality-for-the-sake-of-being-original.

 
At Sat Aug 04, 09:38:00 a.m. IST, Blogger 梁巔巔 said...

Hello~

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?