Sunday, September 30, 2007

Ah Mui...

It's so great to see you smiling again at the birthday present I got you - your bright smile reminded me of you when you were little, a genuine, carefree smile which was a bit incongruous with your rock-chick style long-sleeved tee and metal studded waist band. I was so afraid that you wouldn't like what I picked out for you, that you might find the cute felt make-up pouch bag and the woolly slippers too girly... How pleased was I to see that you tried on those woolly slippers immediately and then, for the rest of the evening, idly twisting and twirling your feet in admiration of them while we watched telly together... It's been quite a while since I had had such an ordinary family evening, and I didn't realise how much I missed them...

I'm especially thrilled that you're actually interested in the books that I bought you. I had my whole patter prepared about enticing you to try them out, so I was pleasantly surprised when I've hardly finished saying that the book in my hand was my favourite of the three that I bought you, when you saw the cover of "Life of Pi" yourself and then called out in enthusiastic recognition that you had read an excerpt of that book in your schoolwork, and that you are really interested in finding out what happened to the Indian boy... Am glad that you will be enjoying one of my favourite books of all time, but am even more grateful that you and I haven't lost that easy sisterly connection that we used to have :)

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At Fri Oct 05, 03:13:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Lapa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Sat Oct 06, 02:01:00 a.m. IST, Anonymous readandeat said...

Hi,

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I don't know anyone in Ireland anyway.

 
At Sat Oct 06, 07:24:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Orangutan said...

I enjoyed reading "Life of Pi" too. Pi's joruney is a sad one, yet the story maintains an innocent, almost mystic charm.

 
At Sun Oct 07, 09:44:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Hi Read and Eat and Orangutan, really nice to see you here, thanks for visiting :)

Orangutan, glad you enjoyed Life of Pi also, and I agree very much on its innocent charm. However, I didn't think of his journey as a sad one. Although Pi's journey had the most tragic start, to me it's more about his resilience and level-headedness in the face of adversity, about not giving up even if the situation seems hopeless by all objective measures (trying to survive in the open seas in a little boat with a wild beast on board), and about having the guts to move on and not get stuck in one's comfort zone (his decision to leave the miracle island). His story has a happy ending, but it is a hard-won, bitter-sweet ending. And compared to what his story could have been (the alternative version he told the two Japanese insurance claim investigators), his journey was an adventure in retrospect. These are the reasons (and many more actually, not least the quality of the writing, the novel's open-mindedness regarding world religions and what they have in common, its message of peace and appreciation of the small blessings in life, its extremely interesting observations about the animal world, etc. etc.) I heartily recommend this book to my little sister, and indeed to anyone whose heart and dreams need a bit of nourishing :)

 
At Sun Oct 07, 09:56:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Oh last but not least, I really appreciate the author's sense of humour, about seeing the funny side of rather grim situations. Life of Pi is not a mawkishly sentimental story at all, and it's really not your typical fable. That's why I love it - it has all these positive messages but you didn't realise you were sold them as you get involved in Pi's struggles. I laughed at his mishaps (including those that happened before his family set sail) and marvelled at his ability to bounce back from them...

Anyway, I should stop now, I guess you can all see I really cannot stop gushing about books I like :)

 
At Sun Oct 07, 10:01:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Correction: I laughed at his mishaps (including those that happened before his family set sail) and marvelled at his ability to bounce back from them ALMOST IN SPITE OF HIMSELF...

 
At Wed Oct 10, 02:05:00 a.m. IST, Blogger Lapa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?