Monday, December 24, 2007

Season's Greetings...

Haven't managed to update this blog again in the last while, and today, on Christmas's eve, I finally got a chance to blog (a little), so just want to annouce the fact that I'm alive and well to those who've been so kind as to visit this humble blog and ask after me.

This will be my very first Christmas in my apartment, and I've played host to a couple of Christmas dinner parties already to a number of my dear friends, who didn't mind being my guinea pigs as I experimented with playing chef and hostess :) I now know I have several killer dishes (or at least my very kind indulgent friends would have me believe) that I actually cooked from scratch myself : poached salmon with creamed leeks and shallots, jumble-berry crumble, champagne syllabub, and my legendary salad. Of course, I cheated too with Marks and Sparks food (the bird was already seasoned and stuffed and packed in a tray with its condiments and all I had to do was unwrap and put in the oven for two hours and ten minutes!)

Anyway, my family now will be coming in a couple of hours' time. I couldn't persuade them to come for Christmas lunch (my parents don't have much faith in my culinary skills, and I have to admit, with good reason based on my past track record), but they are coming for some hors d'oeuvres and mulled wine before we head for a proper feast at the restaurant. I have spent hours the night before making a tiramisu (churning the mascapone into the egg-yolk mix took much longer than I ever dreamt I needed!), following Nigella Lawson's recipe (who is my favourite TV chef despite not warning me about the amount of hand-churning involved! I love her arrogance though, which is refreshingly honest, and more importantly, deserved). I hope it will turn out as great as the jumble-berry crumble did.

I hope I could have some pictures to upload here though but my stupid obsolete Sony digital camera finally gave up its ghost about a month ago (any good replacment recommendations LCC?) and my camera phone don't have the flash so it's no use when I actually (and finally) had the food ready in the evening on my gorgeously candle-lit table!

Anyways, I also want to record that I've been given a really lovely present already this year by my second year students - a wood-carved figurine called "Angel of Learning"...... Awwwww, thank you so much guys! It now has pride of place on my mantelpiece :)

Wishing you all a most wonderful Christmas and New Year...

(must get back to preparing the food now!)

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At Tue Dec 25, 04:09:00 a.m. GMT, Anonymous Nana said...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year ! :)

 
At Tue Dec 25, 10:52:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger Tourist said...

Merry Christmas, and a wonderful new year!

 
At Tue Dec 25, 12:20:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Koala Gal said...

Happy Birth of Christ!!!
I think the Love Song of St Paul in 1 Cor 13 is the best Xmas gift!!!

English Love is Not Jealous

Joy to the world! Merry Christmas!

 
At Tue Dec 25, 02:01:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger laichungleung said...

Apparently you got much better things to do than lurking around online or writing your own blog. I think that's very good.

Though I am not LCC, I think Canon is good at compact cameras (and professional too). Do some online research before buying....

Hope your Christmas lunch turned out great. And Santa got you what you wanted.

Merry Christmas! (<- first time exclamation marks ever)

 
At Tue Dec 25, 08:06:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Alice Poon said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

In case you didn't notice, my blog's new home is now with Asia Sentinel - this is the link:-
http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=20&Itemid=153

All the best,
Alice

 
At Fri Dec 28, 02:53:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thank you so much for all your nice messages, I hope you all had a most lovely Christmas and that the New Year brings better things to you and your loved ones.

p.s. Alice, thanks for your note, just changed the blog link now :)

 
At Fri Dec 28, 02:55:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Oh, and Laichungleung, thanks very much for your camera brands tip (and sorry I did mean to type LCL rather than LCC!!).

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?