Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Comeback Girl!

Yay! Hillary just won the New Hampshire primary! This would not have been so remarkable if not for the fact that all the media polls were predicting her to suffer a double-digit defeat by Obama and pronouncing her candidacy to be dead in the water SECONDS before the NH polls closed.

I was flipping between Sky news, CNN and Fox news into the wee hours of the morning, and I can't believe how biased those SOB talking heads were on CNN, who refused to use the word "lead" or "edge" to comment on the margin that Hillary has been able to maintain over Obama throughout the whole night, even though at one point she was polling a whole 7 points ahead of him. (Yes we know it was too early to call the winner but when you refused to describe the fact that one candidate had a lead over another as the votes came in you showed up your bias against the leading candidate for all to see.) Previously one of those stupid talking heads was going on about Obama being a "tidal wave" and NOT a one-trick phenomenon just seconds before the polls closed, and afterwards she literally had to eat her words - ah, what joy it was to see these arrogant pundits humiliated as events overtook them on live TV! Little did I know that news coverage could be the stuff of reality T.V.!

On the Repubs side, John McCain was another comeback kid (even though as he pointed out himself in his victory speech that he's too old to be described as a kid in any way shape or form). But boy, was he the WORST speaker EVER! Geez, if you can't even get fired up about your own victory and have to refer constantly to your notes and don't even bother to look up to your cheering crowds 90% of the time, what hope is there for you when you actually lose and have to make an up-beat concession speech?

In contrast, I love Hillary's line about how "I've listened to you and in the process I've found my own voice". Her victory speech is nowhere near as uplifting and inspirational as the knock-out speech delivered by Obama in Iowa, but it certainly bests McCain's monotonous drone and I'm glad to see the more genuine sides to her that have been displayed lately. Contrary to much of mainstream media's misogynistic spin, getting teared up over something you believe in IS a sign of strength rather than weakness, and I'm glad to see that finally Hillary's showing more courage of her convictions.

Gosh, in spite of the best of my intentions, I would be glued to late night TV for U.S. election coverage in the coming days as the other primaries and caucuses happen... Why oh why does the U.S. election cycle has to chime with my PhD completion cycle??? (More pertinently, why the feck am I being soooo irresistably drawn to U.S. politics even though I'm not a U.S. citizen??? Have a bit more self-discipline girl!)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At Wed Jan 09, 02:43:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger laichungleung said...

I need to read up your post to stay informed.

Look like we are heading for more drama and theatrics as we are getting close to November. Reality TV is so blase. This is the real deal, the dog fight.

I just read from the NYT, super freak Rudy is saying he is concentrating on Florida, so he is going for votes from retirees who are waiting to die, ha ha.

 
At Thu Jan 10, 04:23:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

I think you're already better-informed than most of your fellow countrymen I'm afraid.

When I think in terms of all the upcoming political drama re: the U.S. election, November seems like an awful long way away. Yet when I think about my own PhD deadline, November is unfortunately FAR TOO CLOSE for comfort.

 
At Thu Jan 10, 05:21:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger laichungleung said...

Not all that well informed. I want to be more like my friends, vl2008, sidney sweet, wp2007, my usual readers and you.

I don't have a phD but I guess I can imagine how tough it could be. There is really no magic bullet to it. You just have to sit down, read and write, that's pretty much it. I remember once upon a time, I sat in front of my PC, a 386 with a 5 and a quarter inch floppy drive, pounding away my research paper. Looking back, everything just got a rosy glow and seems funner. But it wasn't fun when you were actually living it.

Good luck.

 
At Thu Jan 10, 05:43:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger Orangutan said...

US politics is entertaining. For politics junkies, this is a truly ecstatic January. Never have primaries been so unpredictable after NH and Iowa, for both parties!

Both Senator Clinton and Senator Obama are great leaders. Sentimentally, I am more attached to Hillary. She has endured a lot: Congress crushed her healthcare reform, forced her into the role of a "traditional" First Lady, and half of the country hated her for no apparent reason, other than being the wife of a former Democrat president.

But I understand why a lot of people resonate with Obama’s “change” message, becuase Hillary does represent the status quo, though it’s not necessarily a bad thing. Luckily, Obama will be face more scrutiny between now and Feb 5. On the other hand, everything about Hillary has been reported and analyzed over and over again last 15 years, so this comeback will be her story in next few weeks. It will be an exciting match.

 
At Thu Jan 10, 06:04:00 p.m. GMT, Anonymous goodshithappens said...

heyhey thanks for your comment. new blog add's on this link.

:)

take good care!

 
At Mon Jan 14, 04:01:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Laichungleung: Thanks very much for your kind words of encouragement. Yes, sit down and write, an act that is easier said than done unfortunately due to my myriad procrastinating habits (including this blog!). If I don't manage to surface for a time in the next while, please congratulate me for doing what I'm supposed to be doing...

Orangutan: Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! Yes, the U.S. Presidential race is very exciting indeed, the whole world is sick of Bush and can't wait to get a breath of fresh air. I agree that Clinton's "status quo" status shouldn't be completely seen as a negative though, what with the U.S. economy worsening, I could almost see her using her hubby's "It's the Economy, stupid!" slogan for her own campaign...

Serene: Thank god you're not disappearing off for good! Thanks so much for dropping your new link here, keep in touch :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?