Monday, January 21, 2008

Service temporarily suspended... [and now resumed]

Due to a near-death experience over the weekend, in which my Hewlett Packard laptop of no more than two-and-a-half years' vintage crashed and burned through bluescreen after bluescreen of "unmountable boot volume", I am now without a computer to my name and am already experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms. I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky however for surviving my computer death relatively unscathed... I managed to recover all my data and so my PhD is still relatively safe... (But now I must back up my external hard disk in case it too gets a visitation from the blue-screen monster).

Because my only access to computer now is through my work computer, alas I will no longer be able to have the leisure to experience the joys of browsing blogs and blogging in the near future... which is just as well, I guess, as I do have a looming deadline to meet by the end of this month so I might as well get down to it and stop procrastinating online anymore...

p.s. Thanks so much again LCL for being a life-saver, thank you thank you thank you. I can't tell you how much Ubuntu means to me now (and to think all those times you blogged about this OS I was internally stifling a yawn, little did I realise how one day it will save my life in the most dramatic fashion - or as dramatic as computer hard disk rescues could get!)

Update: Wednesday, 30th January, 2008 - Hooray! My laptop came back from the dead! Previously I could only recover data from my hard disk but now I can continue working as I did before, with no need to reisntall or update settings or anything! Thank god I was diligent in keeping all my systems CDs and documentation and thank god I actually had the prescience to shell out for 600 euros worth of insurance when I bought the laptop (which is over a third of the actual cost of the laptop itself - I don't know what came over me to make that decision to commit for 5 years but I am sooo glad I did). I still have to ship it back properly for a re-fit (missing keys and broken power cable that happened before Christmas, and stupid repair policy meant that in the end I had to shell out another hundred euros for a universal adaptor to see me through the year - as I was reluctant to part with my dear laptop with all my precious data... until the above-mentioned hard disk failure happened less than 4 weeks later which nearly puts the whole thing to commission!). I would risk leaving my laptop in the hands of couldn't-care-less-tech-support though only AFTER I've successfully completed my PhD in late autumn... am keeping my fingers crossed that no more drama will happen to my laptop until then...

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Mon Jan 21, 09:04:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger laichungleung said...

You are welcome. Actually I didn't do anything.

Good to know that you got your paper back. That's what really matters.

I got to fix my garage door, I guess I don't have much luck, I am not that handy. We have the bottom panel broken and to change the entire door, homedepot is charging some $800 or $600. I don't have a problem spending that much on a notebook, but on a freaking garage door it's just unbelievable. And the sump pump in the basement was broken the other day but luckily I just needed to fix the check valve....headache headache.

 
At Wed Jan 30, 03:57:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Yes, having my PhD files back was the main thing (I actually wasn't so worried about the chapters as all my source data files and all my interview recordings... fortunately they are all safe and sound).

And thank you again, because the instructions re: overcoming the boot volume error actually was very useful as that was how the PC service people helped me get my laptop back on its feet today.

Gosh that was a really steep price to pay for a garage door. At least the tax refund now comes in handy? Hope there'd be no more troubles on your home maintenance front...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?