Monday, April 07, 2008

Spring pictures...

Now that I can finally surf the net on my own computer in the comfort of my own home, below are a few pics that I've been meaning to upload to my blog (along with the thousand and one things that I've been meaning to blog about in the last while). It's finally spring and it's so lovely to see the flowers and pot plants I have in my house doing well...




I can't believe I have been living in my "new" apartment for a year now! My official move-in date was 29th March, 2007, so it's now just over a year since I got settled into my new home. The cool thing is, the novelty still hasn't worn off and I'm still absolutely loving it! The bamboo plants in the last two photos have been with me since the very beginning, and I'm amazed that they are still flourishing even though they are just being given water and little else.

I've spring-cleaned my home last weekend - even though there really isn't that much to clean up. Who'd have thought that I'm really a very tidy person at heart, and that I'm really my mother's daughter after all... I feel justified that the many epic battles I had had with her over the years about the state of my room is really a battle over control of the space, and not at all about how apparently untidy I was. It was nice when my family came over on Saturday for dinner, and my mum was sitting comfortably in the wingback armchair poring over my store of interiors magazines and she and I talked about the things that are in our homes. We have very different styles - she came back from a recent trip to Budapest with deer skin floor rugs! - but I'm glad she could see how lovely I could make my own space when given the chance.

Last Friday also saw the delivery of a new Roland digital piano that I bought since last Christmas and which I've finally paid off the last installment of the costs a couple of weeks ago. (And oh, the shop where I bought it from is Waltons', the piano store location for the duet between the guy and the girl in the "Once" film - in fact, I used to take piano lessons at the Waltons School of Music - located right above the shop - until a couple of years ago - when I couldn't afford the time to practice anymore). Finally, I have the wherewithal to begin to fulfil one of my earlier new year resolutions about keeping up with my piano practice (though of course, finishing my PhD is still my number 1 priority, so I guess whatever practice I'll do in the near future really depends on how much PhD stress I'll need to vent via music).

Anyway, I've always meant to add the below lovely poem from an Ikea ad about what it really means to have a place of your own, a timely reminder about what's really important in all the talk about the housing market doom and gloom these days...

Do you live in a house or a home?
Are you in it for the money or the love?
Do you think you'll be happy when you move?
Or are you happy now?

Does it give you financial security or emotional warmth?
Does it make you feel like you're getting somewhere?
Or does it make you feel like you're there now?

If it could talk, could it tell anyone
what your favourite colour is?

When your little boy draws a plane on the wall, do you reach for the paint roller
or grab another crayon and draw a rocket?

Is it perfect?
Or is it real, and still perfect?

Do you keep it as empty as possible to create space,
or do you fill it with
all the people and things you enjoy the most?

Do you look in estate agent's windows?
Or do you look in your own window and think 'how lovely'?
Are you constantly monitoring its price?
Or are you measuring its occupants' heights on the back of the bathroom door?

What's the most important thing you put into it,
two-fifths of your salary,
or your life and soul?

What's the most important thing you'll get out?
A profit?
Or a treasure trove of memories that'll never, ever go down in value but always up.

It's not too late.

A house can always become a home.
Love, not money.
That's what gives a home a soul.

And a home's soul is NOT FOR SALE.


Btw, I also heartily agree with Ikea's motto: "Home is the most important place in the world."

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Tue Apr 08, 02:39:00 p.m. IST, Blogger laichungleung said...

I am glad to see the old Martha is back.

 
At Wed Apr 09, 02:12:00 p.m. IST, OpenID juliekintaiwan said...

Glad you're back, thanks for sharing lovely pictures.

 
At Sat Apr 12, 10:44:00 a.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

LCL: I laughed when I read your comment, and I think my mum will have a good chortle too when she heard that I've been compared to Martha the-home-making-queen Stewart :D You're too kind :)

Julie: Glad you like the pictures too! Thanks very much for not giving up on this blog :) I just wish I have half the skills you have when it comes to making lovely handicrafts :)

 
At Sat Apr 12, 10:56:00 a.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?