Sunday, May 18, 2008

My carbon footprint...

... is currently estimated at 6.42 tonnes per year (or 0.54 tonnes per month).

While this number is quite a bit below the EU average of 8 tonnes per person per year. However, I should be working towards reducing my CO2 emissions to 5.14 tonnes per year.

Of the four areas - household, heating, personal transport and flights - that are assessed in calculating my carbon count, I did the best in household and personal transport (the latter because I don't own any cars and I live within short commuting distances of my workplace), but heating constitutes 54% of my carbon footprint even though my heaters are modern slimline ones.

It does mean however that I should be doing better now as the long daylight hours arrive with the summer.

And thanks to Change.ie (a really well-designed and informative website on climate change sponsored by the Irish Government), not only did I find out my carbon footprint number, both current and target, I am also given a plan to work towards my target number based on my existing circumstances.

Plus, I am also given information about what is being done nationally and at the EU level to tackle climate change. Its message is simple:

Every individual has a part to play in the collective effort to act on climate change. The public have key influence over the goods, services and technologies that businesses produce and have the power to influence government action.

And oh, it's even quoting one of my favourite sociologists!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has".

Margaret Mead, American anthropologist, (1901 -1978)


Want to find out the size of your own carbon footprint? Click here.

Also, just a couple of graphics to see where we are compared to other countries. The graphs show how many tonnes of carbon are produced by each member of population, each year, in the countries shown:

Who knew Luxembourgers are such carbon-emitters?? It boggles the mind how they could more than double the EU average, being such a small country and being smack bang in the middle of the Continent, which would surely cut down on their travelling land miles as well as air miles. Do they all own SUVs or something?

Anyway, here's how the EU and China currently compares in the international league table using the same metrics:

I cannot understand how Bush has the gall to say that the U.S. would not sign up to the "new Kyoto" unless China and India agree to the same stringent requirements first. Bravo Al Gore for calling out the hypocrisy of the U.S. negotiators at the Bali summit earlier. If by saying that the U.S. is displaying "leadership" on the climate change issue, Bush is actually referring to the fact that the U.S. is the biggest polluter of the world, then he would not be a hypocrite, but he could stuff such "leadership" up his arse.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Sun May 18, 06:37:00 a.m. IST, Blogger 梁巔巔 said...

Hi~

Could you tell me your email address? ^^

Mine is victorliang1206@gmail.com

 
At Tue May 20, 04:53:00 a.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Hi Victor, thanks for your email address. But I hope if you'd kindly forgive me if I don't give out my email address on my blog? I've gone back and forth over this in the past, and I ultimately decided not to because of several reasons: (a) I'm really lousy in keeping in touch, and while it's great to comment on each other's blog posts once in a while, I'm (perhaps unreasonably) afraid of the responsibility that maintaining e-mail contact with blog friends entails; (b) I had set up this blog originally with the intent that I would be free to comment on anything and anyone (e.g. see my profile description, where I moaned about my workplace!), and so I haven't even let any of my friends know that I have a personal blog, and somehow I feel (again probably without reason) that if I were to have an email address on here and start becoming really good friends with people online, that would start affecting the extent to which I'd feel free to rant about things in my personal life (actually, in fact, that has already happened to a certain extent... thus the preponderence of political posts in the last while...); (c) perhaps this is getting a tad paranoid, but what with the "human flesh search engines" and my rather "unpatriotic" political opinions on this blog, I'm kinda afraid that having an email address would lead to unintended consequences that I might regret later.

None of the above are really good reasons for not having an email account for this blog, and I may change my mind later (in fact, once I could feel a bit less pressured after I complete my PhD, I think I'd look at things differently again, especially because at the very beginning I had email contact with a couple of bloggers and it was great to have off blog debate too). But please realise also that none of the above reasons has anything to do with you (or any kind blog friend per se who might be browsing). I'm flattered that you want to keep in touch more personally, but please forgive me for the fact that I'm not quite ready to do that yet for entirely selfish (and probably crazy) reasons.

Please don't be mad now and stop visiting me! (And please allow me to continue to comment on your blog, ppplease?)

 
At Tue May 20, 09:47:00 p.m. IST, Blogger laichungleung said...

India was livid when Bush blamed India on the rising food costs.

"the money spent in the United States on liposuction to get rid of fat from excess consumption could be funneled to feed famine victims."

Talk about carbon footprint, Eliot Spitzer, ex governor of New York was the worst offender, he actually paid a call girl to travel by train from NYC to meet him in Washington, D.C., Mayfair hotel to be exact. Greenpeace is not thrilled. And so are all the local D.C. call girls.

 
At Fri May 23, 02:39:00 p.m. IST, Blogger 梁巔巔 said...

Okay okay~~~~~~ ^^

But, hey, you can send your email address to my email address ma! :)

Ok la. I respect you ga ma.

Of cooourse you can continue to comment on my blog la! Please~~~~ Heee heee~ ^~

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?