Thursday, September 18, 2008

You've got to have thicker skin than this...

You have got to have thicker skin than this.
Jibes and sideswipes come with the territory you're in.
It's true they do reflect far worse on those who made them,
Than on whom those poison darts are meant.

You have got to have thicker skin than this.
Cry if you must but never let them see.
Instead of reacting, try to deftly rise above it.
The best put-down is to turn a duck's back on sleaze.

You have got to have thicker skin than this.
The world moves on and you have got to move with it.
Take time to lick your wounds, of course,
But don't pick at the scabs to add your own injury.

You have got to have thicker skin than this.
Though be grateful you could actually feel the sting.
It shows you still have the sensitivity,
To win in the much bigger scheme of things.

You have got to have thicker skin than this.
But you also need to be able to let someone in.
Pride doesn't only come before a fall;
Pride before the one you love, is the deadliest sin of all.

(c) Snowdrops 2008. All rights reserved.

Addendum: This poem is probably a companion piece of sorts to my earlier poem "Fuck'em". I don't know how come somewhere along the line between 2006 and 2008 I've kinda changed my perspective on things... Actually re-reading Fuck'em I still could feel the rage coursing through my veins about the injustice of bullying and the added insult of turning a blind eye, but perhaps now I have also learnt to be a lot more philosophical about the need to keep one's game face up and the wisdom of "Illegitimi non carborundum".

Update: Just saw this lovely quote from a commenter on the Brocantehome blog about keeping up with Mrs Jones: "when they're talking about you they're letting some other poor soul rest".

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Thu Sep 18, 04:24:00 a.m. IST, Blogger laichungleung said...

Alex can write poems like this.... I found it odd his homework sometimes requires him to write a poem.

(I am kidding my friend, the first sentence.)

So have you finished reading any of the Man Booker Prize shortlist yet? There is an Irish writer there. I have not, do not and probably will not read any of them. If you read that Irish writer one, let me know your thought, if you say if indeed it's very good, I might just read it.

 
At Fri Sep 19, 01:19:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

I do think the poem is a little too rhymey and really isn't that great, so I won't be surprised if Alex can easily write poems like this in his sleep for his schoolwork :)

(And it's a sign of a good teacher that s/he demands his/her students to write poetry).

Please don't tempt me with leisure reading! I haven't turned up to meet my old friends via the book club for ages and I've deliberately stayed away from novels in the last while. I will have to leave the Booker prize nominees (both the long and short list) as something to look forward to after I've completed my manuscript.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?