Saturday, October 18, 2008

Language, Poetry and Satire...

Cartoon by Doug Savage of Savage Chickens.

Oh I just loooove this! A non-doctrinaire, irreverent look at language. Dare I say there is a place for profanity in human expression as much as formal speech.


Cartoon by Doug Savage at Savage Chickens.

Wow. No wonder hardly anyone (excepting those kind souls with the most discerning tastes, that is ;P) reads my blog. The truth hurts. A lot.

At least my tortured-artist pretensions are skewered by one of my favourite cartoonists. I guess I couldn't ask for much more than that.

Sometimes you just have to hand it to the experts when it comes to shining the bright, soul-cleansing light of satire on a grim situation. The philosopher AC Grayling's little piece on hog management finally gave me my first genuinely good laugh at the crazy economic times we live in. Such as this gem of a passage:

But at a certain point the level of toxicity in the swill-cum-regurgitate as a whole reaches a level at which the entire herd of hogs flips into a sudden panic mode: now aware that they cannot continue to eat very fast and in large quantities without doing themselves injury, they all immediately stop eating, and begin to run around the feeding pound emitting loud fear-and-warning noises – and at the same time emitting noisome efflations resulting from the degree of toxicity of the swill over-indulged in, which has caused them tremendous bloating. It is a truly pitiable spectacle to see so many frightened flatulent hogs dashing fruitlessly about, begging for the keepers to come and clean out their feeding troughs and to administer medications to solve their digestive crisis.

And his contention that hogs are not self-regulating animals but in need of keepers with sharp sticks are especially prescient when faced with today's headline that says that bankers are still being rewarded mind-blowing multi-billion-dollar bonuses for their greed and incompetence.

Sometimes all the little men and women can do is laugh, however bitter our laughters may actually sound.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Sun Oct 19, 01:08:00 p.m. IST, Blogger laichungleung said...

I thought I was the one wallowing in self-pity (your words, I can't ever write something like that).

Over the years, I think I have really developed a talent of writing a blog that nobody really cares. And I think that's pretty cool too. I think it somehow just reflects me as a person in real life. I never won any popularity contest. Damned, I am wallowing in self-pity again....

 
At Tue Oct 21, 08:15:00 a.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Haha, thanks LCL, but I was actually attempting to demonstrate self-deprecating humour rather than self-pity per se in my above post... The fact that it doesn't quite work means I still have a lot of work to do on my writing... Oh well :)

The "I never won any popularity contest" line reminds me of McCain's sour-grapes rebuttal of Obama's popularity actually :P But I agree with you - who cares that nobody cares about our blogs, eh? The way I see it, the inattention of the masses frees us - well, at least me - to blog about anything and everything that strike my fancy. It's just a pity that, when I do managed on the very rare occasion to write a half-decent post, hardly anyone would notice, that's all. But you have to take the bad with the good.

 
At Tue Oct 21, 07:50:00 p.m. IST, Blogger laichungleung said...

Do you have to do any more with your thesis? Or it's a wrap already just waiting for the good news? The suspense is killing me, I am of course exaggerating. I am prying too of course.

 
At Wed Oct 22, 02:45:00 a.m. IST, Blogger laichungleung said...

My blog has traffic that can count with one hand, that's on a good day, and you know what one day if I decide I am not going to write my silly online diary I don't even feel the need to like announce oh I am not going to write or close my blog thank you very much blah blah blah as that would be totally unnecessary and self important on my part. ha-ha, I think that is the advantage.
But one time when you just dropped off, I really thought something very bad happened to you I tend to be pessimistic and all. And since I think you were the very first one who were weird enough to link my blog so you are kind of special to me, I am a bit childish on things sometimes.

 
At Thu Oct 23, 12:17:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Haha, the suspense is killing ME as well! And that's no exaggeration where I'm concerned. It's not a complete wrap, I'm in the internal review process, and still need to re-write chapters as we speak.

And thanks so much for your really kind final comment. You're like a virtual big brother (not the George Orwell 1984 kind, but the HK triad kind :P I know I'd cause offense if I write "Big Uncle"! Haha) to me :D

But really, I wasn't at all moaning about my lack of readership in my post above, was I really giving that impression? Anyway, I don't think I'm weird (of course I'd say that!) to link to your blog at all. I actually remember breathing a sigh of relief that I finally found another long-time overseas resident Hongkonger who blogs completely in English, who gets BOTH Western and Hongkong slangs and cultural references and who blogs about real life. It's like I discover family - however melodramatic that may sound :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?