Friday, December 26, 2008

Belated Season's Greetings...

Hope this is not too late to wish you all a lovely Christmas and happy New Year!

Thanks to all of you who've visited my humble blog over the past year. Words cannot describe how grateful I'm to have known you, even if only virtually, and even when only for a brief while...

Hope you're all enjoying the festive holiday with your loved ones. 'Tis the season to eat, drink and be merry after all :)

* * *

This year I've hosted a number of pre-Christmas dinner parties for friends at my place, as well as the big Christmas Eve dinner for my family!! (It was good that my parents were persuaded of my excuse that my oven would simply not fit a turkey big enough to feed the whole family, so that the actual Christmas Day meals were prepared by them in the end on the actual big day at the family home.)

I thus have had no time at all in the last while to blog, even though I half-started a post about all the Christmas meal-planning, etc. But finally, I guess I'd just let the photos speak for themselves :)

Edible Pressie 2.0

I finally discovered that truffle-making is simply beyond my range of culinary skills achievable by year-end, so I had to reluctantly abandon hopes of giving away truffles as gifts... which left me the problem of what I am to do with all the good quality chocolate that I have bought?

Hah! As they'd say, desperation is the mother of invention! These spicy chocolate gingerbread cookies went down a treat with friends and family :)






Christmas Decorations

Unfortunately my apartment is simply not big enough to put up a proper Christmas tree, and I really couldn't find any half-decent small Christmas tree that won't look tacky in my flat, despite the fact that this is the second Christmas running since I've begun my search for The Tree in the shops up and down Dublin.

Nevertheless, I wasn't going to let lack of space nor indeed the global financial meltdown to prevent me from attempting to inject some festive cheer to my place...















Festive Table-Setting






Last but not least, actual food preparations...

Hors D'oeuvres - Smoked Salmon and Garlic and Herb Cream Cheese on Blinis / Baked Bread Cakes; Spicy Potato Wedges with choice of Sweet-Chilli or Hot Chilli Dips (not shown)

(Pre-Dinner Drinks - Appleberry Mulled Wine (not shown); Cold drinks to be served with Raspberry-enclosed Ice-Cubes)





Starters - Cream of Winter Vegetables Soup (old version shown); and/or Goat Cheese on Pear, Cherry Tomato, Cucumber and Spinach / Rocket Salad (one version shown without goat cheese)




Main Courses - Festive Seafood Risotto (with Tiger-Prawns, Cherry-Tomatoes and Tips of Kale Leaves); and/or Racks of Lamb (with interlocking of cutlet bones as taught by local butcher) with special lamb seasoning, and served with Red Wine jus (version A) or with Mint Sauce (version B); or Roast Leg of Lamb served with rich meat gravy (not shown).






Side-Dishes - Citrus-Glazed Baby Carrots; Brussel Sprouts and Pancetta (partly shown in above photos); Creamy Baby Potatoes (not shown)



Dessert - Festive Trifle (Strawberry version with Creme de Frambrois; Raspberry version with Creme de Cassis); or Appleberry Crumble (not shown)








After-Dinner Sweet - Vanilla Ice-Cream in Chocolate Cups



All Photos taken from my festive dinner preparations up to and including Christmas' Eve.
Copyright Snowdrops 2008. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Fri Dec 26, 03:07:00 p.m. GMT, OpenID serenemai said...

WOWWOWWOWWOW!!!!

your house looks lovelyyy! (even though they are snippets of here-and-theres but i can already imagine a very lovely home!!) wish i could visit....or even at least make my house like that!! (my family doesnt celebrate xmas)

thanks for the message you left on my blog..it has been great time reading ur blog and looking forward to more! have a blessed 2009! :)

 
At Sat Dec 27, 02:24:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger laichungleung said...

This is just tremendous. Your friends are so very lucky. I am speechless. By the way, I have to burn all my Christmas dinner pictures now that I saw yours. You are the Dublin Martha, perhaps out-Martha Martha. For my sort of Christmas dinner I just wing it, there is no grace to it at all ...

Happy Holidays.

 
At Wed Dec 31, 09:29:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thank you sooooo much Serene and LCL for your really lovely comments here, and indeed for much of the past year (not to be overly dramatic about it, but without your really kind encouragement I wouldn't have found as much will to carry on blogging as I did). And my sincerest apologies for the lateness in replying... I swear to God I will reply much more promptly in the new year!!

Ser: You're the nicest gal ever! You'd always be most welcome to my home whenever you happen to be in Ireland :D

LCL: Actually there's not much grace to my dinner parties either! What you saw are only preparations pictures, not how things looked actually when my friends and family turned up :P

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones :)

 
At Wed Dec 31, 04:51:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger 梁巔巔 said...

Snowdrops, 2009 Happy New Year!!!!!

 
At Thu Jan 01, 11:35:00 p.m. GMT, OpenID bekaboo said...

Oh my goodness! I wish I could come to a party at your house. The decor and food look amazing!! You must be quite the chef.

 
At Sat Jan 03, 02:33:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thanks LDD for visiting, happy new year to you too!!

So sorry for the delay in replying though... I guess I'm really not that great in keeping new year's resolutions... very sorry, hope you had a great holiday though :)

Hi Bekaboo, thanks for visiting my blog and your really nice comment here :) Though I really wouldn't say I'm in any way a chef at all - I'm just an enthusiastic amateur more than anything else! Happy New Year to you too!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?