Thursday, December 04, 2008

Why I love him...

I was attracted to him from the very beginning -
a quiet, dignified presence
in the midst of the madding crowd.
He spoke, not to impress others of his glories,
but to find out how those around him had got on --
and he actually listened when they talked.

Maybe it was something physical
The way he carries himself with ease
A tall guy who makes you feel comfortable with his height.
Perhaps it was the cut of his jib, the way
the bridge of his nose curves to a perfect plane,
or his sympathetic brow, framing his kind, piercing eyes...

Oh how his eyes shone of understanding,
of tenderness, of a solid decency unswayed
by trendy fads or pressure from his peers
who may be physically stronger, or cleverer,
or better-looking than he is --
but he remains comfortable in his skin.

Or maybe it was to do with something more profound --
the way he gets me; the way he allows me to be me.
He is patient without trumpeting the fact as he hears me out.
He is generous to a fault, yet retains his integrity.

Whatever reasons might have been, I love the gentle pilgrim soul in him,
and willingly spread beneath his feet, the fragile remains of my dreams...


Copyright Snowdrops 2008. All rights reserved.

Addendum:
The last two lines of the poem are my paraphrasing of lines from two of W.B. Yeats' most famous love poems, "
When you are old" and "He wishes for the cloths of Heaven".

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At Thu Dec 04, 05:01:00 p.m. GMT, OpenID serenemai said...

awwww. :)

 
At Sun Dec 07, 08:32:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Ser: thanks (#^_^#)

 
At Wed Dec 10, 12:59:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger Yun said...

Wooowwww!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Happy for you.

(I would like a guy like that, any more?! :P)

 
At Wed Dec 10, 02:07:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thanks Yun :D

Maybe that guy is already in your circle of friends?

The hardest thing I found is to admit your own feelings to yourself, especially if you're a headstrong character like me ;)

 
At Wed Dec 10, 04:08:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger laichungleung said...

Yun, you are so funny, "any more" as if snowdrops is running a business or hoarding all the good guys or something. You have to go to Ireland my friend, where you will find an abundant supply of good looking and overly educated young men.

Snowdrops,
I like you use the word love, it's so to the point . . .

 
At Wed Dec 10, 07:12:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Yun said...

Well, I think "he" definitely not in my circle of friends... (how could I have missed it?! Haha!) But I'm hoping that he's just around the corner... let's put in some holiday spirits here! :P

You are right on admitting my own feelings... I often debate with myself. Very difficult stuff. But truly truly happy for you lah. :) (And the poem was great of course.)

 
At Wed Dec 10, 07:13:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Yun said...

To LCL:

Aiya... "young men" might not be suitable for me anymore................. Wahaha!! :P

 
At Wed Dec 10, 09:14:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

LCL: Thanks very much, I think it's great to finally be able to get right to the point, too :) You know I was actually surprised that you didn't gag from my poem - just as well I couldn't find any space for the "ten-tightly-interwoven-fingers" phrase in it :P!!

Yun: really thank you again :) You will find the right person for you, and when you see him, don't let him slip away :)

 
At Fri Dec 12, 03:45:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger laichungleung said...

You take your poetry seriously, and rightfully so. I can't make fun of it because its beautifully written and of course you won't say the cringe-inducing ten-finger whatever entwined together thing the Hong Kong tabloids love so much ... I am just flattered I am being cited, sort of indirectly here, for whatever reason.

 
At Fri Dec 19, 05:13:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Sorry LCL for the delay in replying... Actually when I said "gag" I meant as in "to retch" or "heave" or basically feeling pukey :P But thank you so much for your comment that my poem, not only was not cringe-inducing, but was even beautiful! Thank you thank you :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?