Tuesday, January 13, 2009

No time to blog... but the world unfortunately doesn't stop

Have had no time to blog since returning to work in 2009... so in spite of the best of my intentions I've been extremely lousy in following up with blog replies, etc. Sincere apologies...

Am continually depressed by the news from Gaza. Saw Questions and Answers on RTE last night and I cannot believe the smug callousness of that old woman who argued that the violence perpetuated by the Israelis on the Palestinians was in no way disproportionate purely because of what's written in the Hamas charter. The fact that she looked respectable just made her chilling remarks even more scary.

Excuse me old lady, but what Israel committed in action was a far more unconsionable crime against humanity (breaking the ceasefire agreement contrary to much of its propaganda that it was Hamas who broke it; using white phosperous bombs in the densely-populated Gaza strip which is a designated war crime according to UN charter; bombing UN schools despite having been given precise coordinates beforehand; mounting civilian deaths including medics and hundreds of women and children despite its bare-faced lies that it was taking care to avoid so-called collateral damage and that the majority of those killed were alleged terrorists when they were simply citizens driven out of their homes and had no safe shelter to turn to; and all these were only a handful of its crimes against humanity in THIS war and not counting its economic blockade against a population under siege over the last three years, passively killing thousands via malnutrition and the withholding of life-saving medicine; and its war in Lebanon in 2006 and its bloody massacre of Palestinian civilians back in the 8o's as admitted by its own soldiers and indeed being made into the film Waltz with Bashir) than anything the Hamas had ever committed in action, despite the words in its charter. And action speaks far louder than words. Just because the Israeli state government is wily enough to hide its inhuman and systematic genocide of the Palestinian people behind self-serving justifications does not mean that the rest of the world are totally blind to its state terrorism.

I felt I need to write a proper angry letter but am too depressed and exhausted that I simply don't have the energy ...sigh...

(Thank goodness therefore for articles on the Guardian by articulate and conscientious Jewish commentators like the world-class pianist Daniel Barenboim and the professor of Middle-Eastern Studies at Oxford University, who are not blind to the terrible atrocities commited by the Israeli government in their name.)

I thought that my interest in politics would wane as a result of the fact that I'm now in a relationship... turns out that I still have plenty of interest, and I still pay attention, but it's just that I no longer have the time nor energy to respond properly to world events. Is that a good or bad thing? I feel sooooo impotent...

Cease and desist, please. Stop the slaughter. Now.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Wed Jan 14, 02:12:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger laichungleung said...

I don't know if that would ever change, the wars in Gaza or thereabout.

Lucky me, I still live in the war-free part of the world and now with scant TV coverage of any wars you just don't feel it that much or that bad. Plus I don't watch much TV anymore and for news I read it during my commutes and that's about it.

Hey, the comment you left at Yun's blog was really the most hilarious, I was actually laughing our loud when I came across it. Seems like everybody is in love, must be the weather ....

Stay warm.

 
At Thu Jan 15, 05:44:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Oh you might have heard that today the UN Headquarters in Gaza itself was being bombed by Israel, killing UN personnel who witnessed themselves the use of white phosphorous shells against civilians (i.e. themselves!), or perhaps this latest atrocity might also have been underplayed if not outright censored by the US media?

I'm sorry for being rude about it, but the U.S. media is so agenda-driven that it just doesn't compare to the kind of news coverage we have over here, not even allegedly "liberal" organs like the New York Times. I subscribed to the NYT news alert, and when Israel first bombed Gaza on 27th Dec, there was NOT ONE alert being sent at all, NOT ONE, all the way through the holiday period about this important world event (it was headline news all over the news channels here, which I tend to keep on in the background when I'm at home), even though there were plenty of other alerts about the whole Blagovevich saga. The first time that NYT made a pip about the Israel attack was when they actually sent in the ground troops to escalate their murderous attack.

I still intend to blog properly about this, faraway as Palestine is and though its conflict doesn't seem directly connected with our world, but I'm unfortunately already way too overeducated to countenance an insular mindset. As the saying goes, all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to simply do nothing. Or easier still, just look away...

Thanks for your really kind comment though, you and your family stay warm too (the NYC winters are way more severe than the kind we get here).

 
At Thu Jan 15, 05:49:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Oh! Forgot to say, in relation to my comment on Yun's... I guess I really need to do something about my propensity to insert foot in mouth when it comes to blog comments... I'm glad you got a good laugh out of it though :P

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?