Thursday, October 01, 2009

Important reminder as we face another anniversary of the birth of "modern" China

Modern psychology has a word that is probably used more than any other word. It is the word “maladjusted.” Now we all should seek to have a well-adjusted life in order to avoid neurotic and schizophrenic personalities. But there are some things within our social order to which I am proud to be maladjusted and to which I call upon you to be maladjusted. I never intend to adjust myself to segregation and discrimination. I never intend to adjust myself to mob rule. I never intend to adjust myself to the tragic effects of the methods of physical violence and to tragic militarism. I call upon you to be maladjusted to such things God grant that we will be so maladjusted that we will be able to go out and change our world and our civilization. And then we will be able to move from the bleak and the desolate midnight of man’s inhumanity to man to the bright and glittering daybreak of freedom and justice.

----- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1958, emphasis added.



Further reading: An online campaign by HK bloggers in light of the recent assault on Hong Kong journalists by Xinjiang police.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?