Tuesday, October 06, 2009

My first home-grown chillis...

From initial green shoots...




... to the first flowering




And from the sight of these surprising green fruits (surprising because of my enforced neglect over the three weeks that I was in Hong Kong)...












... to the very first red fruit...







... and finally, to a healthy crop of miniature chillis (hotness level: just below jalapenos)



















(Gardening Notes:

1. These chillis are completely organic. No fertilizer nor bug-spray nor any sort of artificial agent ever used. Only water and sunshine added to seeds in compost. Oh, and attention when I managed to give it any.

2. These chillis took a long time to germinate. The packet says 6-8 weeks, but I had to wait until the basil and the coriander had grown into proper seedlings before I even saw the very first pip of a green shoot. Had almost given up and was just about to throw it away but laziness and a faint sense of hope prevented me from acting on my impulse. Thank god I didn't!

3. These chillis were re-potted once. Once they became proper seedlings I moved them from the aluminium pouch that they came in, to a proper pot - by that I mean the IKEA aluminium pot with drainage holes at the bottom.

4. I agonised over what to do with these prior to my departure for Hong Kong, as they were flowering so prettily and I was afraid of what would happen to them when I was gone. In the end, rather than entrust them to others - I don't want to potentially sour a relationship over a dead plant - I placed them in a plastic basin of water and put them just on the inside of my balcony to ensure that they get enough sunlight. It was beyond my expectations to come back and see them not only not died of neglect, but actually flourished and have grown fruits. The dead-looking leaves were the only clue that the plant had been neglected and left to fend for itself. I felt - and still feel - so blessed.

5. Not a gardening note per se, but these chillis are seriously yummy, even if I do say so myself! It's tiny but packs enough of a kick to be noticeable, and there's a certain sweetness to the taste as well. I'm just sorry that the plant doesn't yield more fruit as they could all be used up in a couple of salads. Must plant more.)

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Wed Oct 07, 04:08:00 p.m. IST, Blogger laichungleung said...

All my herbs are dead, except the super hardy Sage. I didn't do anything with my herbs this summer. I hope you are not "privatizing" your blog. I like to come every now and then even many of your posts are too hard for me.

 
At Thu Oct 08, 09:40:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

I agree it's very hard to keep herbs alive indeed, my coriander is deader than dead now (but who knows, maybe a miracle could still happen? After all, my calla lillies did come back from the dead in the most flamboyant way imaginable). I've always longed for a herb garden (or more correctly a herby windowsill), but when I compare my own homegrown herbs with those pre-grown herbs-in-a-pot that you can get in supermarkets here for 2.99, I always feel a bit deflated to be honest.

Re: "privatising" my blog, yes I've now taken to hiding my blog now and again because of seemingly creepy readers (no not talking about you, haha!!) Any time I found an Irish reader of my blog I'm tempted to hide it forever because of all the work-related rants I have on here. Also, whenever I found Mainland Chinese GOVERNMENT reader I'm tempted to hide... which just goes to show what a shitty coward I am in real life in spite of all my rhetoric. I could probably never take part in a true political uprising against an oppressive regime... but then again, who knows, maybe a mircale could happen also and I could really be as brave as my idealised self?

 
At Thu Oct 08, 09:45:00 p.m. IST, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Oops, a "mircale" probably won't ever happen, but a MIRACLE might!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?