Friday, February 12, 2010

Beautiful... [Updated]



"Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera

(Original lyrics: Linda Perry. Amended lyrics: Snowdrops) (Lyrics based on this official version of Aguilera's video rather than on the live performance recording above).

Mmmmm...

意會到 . 凡事有盡頭
這一年 . 太多事

領悟到 . 平實裡自由
卻不願 . 去低頭

我想飛得高
向我自己挑戰
從不想前路一切 .

我想飛得高
作最壞的打算
誰可測前路一切 . Oh... no...

為理想怎麼可 . 放棄

Mmmm.....

若我願意 . 去放低所有
再不願 . 怕嘲笑 . Oh....

屢敗過 . 才會活得精彩
嚐過了苦楚 . 我也再也不怕 . 哪管他怎想

我想飛得高
以我自己方向
從不想前路一切 . Oh... no...

我想飛得高
以我幸福賭注
誰不敢全力衝線 . Oh... no...

為理想怎麼可 . 告退

No matter what we do
(no matter what we do)
No matter what we say
(no matter what we say)
We're the song inside the tune
(yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
Full of beautiful mistakes

And everywhere we go
(And everywhere we go)
The sun will always shine
(Sun will always, always shine...)
But tomorrow it might awake
Shining the other side

我想飛得高
No matter what they say
Yes words won't bring us down... Oh no...

我想飛得高
放棄幸福打算
還不肯糊渾一世 . Oh... no...

So don't you bring me down... today... oh... yeah....
Don't you bring me down... today... yeah....
願理想終生可 . 堅信 . 到尾

*****

共勉之!

*****
p.s. I know I can't ever compete with Linda Perry's immortal lines of "I am beautiful, no matter what they say". Still, I'm quite pleased to have done this little lyric exercise, even though I know it is still very far from perfect (if any of you have alternative suggestions for some of the phrases above, I'd be very grateful to hear them).

Happy Year of the Tiger, everyone :) 虎年快樂!

p.p.s. Yes, this is my first ever Chinese post since I started my blog back in 2006! It took me four years to finally blog in Chinese, can you believe it? And I had the patience to find each and every single word using a combination of the online Cantonese inputter and Google Translate only because I was trying to work out what lyrics to use at the same time. So unfortunately Chinese won't be a regular feature of this blog in the foreseeable future. But at least I got one done, yay :)

p.p.p.s. My own lyrics remind me of another song, so I'd take this opportunity to also wish all of you 新一年如虎添翼! 同場加映演* "I believe I can fly" by R Kelly:



*I know the last word in "同場加演" should not be "演" in the context being used here, but for the life of me I can't find that appropriate Chinese word using any combination of phonetics or word translations via either the Cantonese inputter or Google translate. So I have to live with this 別字 in my first ever Chinese post, please bear with me. Thanks LCL for the kind correction!

p.p.p.p.s. If anyone can tell me if Christina Aguilera's song has been covered by any Cantonese artist, I'd be really grateful, thanks in advance!

* * *
Lyrics updated on Sunday, 7 March, 2010.

Finally I figured out a way to change the "結尾" phrase at the very end of the song into something slightly more reasonable, by utilising the notes that were meant to be hummed just before it. The whole line is still a bit clunky to be honest but at least there is no awkward shift in meaning literally at the ending.

And to be honest I always suspect that the "糊渾" I used above is probably not quite right either, even though it is the right phrase that I'm looking for. So in all probability there is another couple of 錯別字 in my first ever Chinese post.

Oh, I may as well state here that I would dearly wish Sammi Cheng is still working as she would be my dream Hong Kong singer to perform this song, sadly of course the chance of that happening (as in her ever singing my lyrics to this song, rather than her ever being back in business again) is effectively zero.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Sat Feb 13, 01:52:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger laichungleung said...

願理想終於可 . . mm. . . 結尾

the last two words kind of odd but I don't know enough to offer any alternate wordings.

But I am surprised actually I shouldn't be as you love poetry.

Happy New Year lady.

 
At Sat Feb 13, 04:57:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger 梁巔巔 said...

Wei wei wei, long time no see! Happy Chinese New Year!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At Mon Feb 15, 12:30:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger lu said...

happy chinese new year :D

 
At Wed Feb 17, 02:07:00 p.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thanks so much for all your very kind CNY greetings, and very sorry for my belated reply. (I'm still trying to update my lyrics as well but can't think of anything better yet).

Hope this is too not too late to 向你們拜年 :) 恭喜發財! 萬事勝意! 祝大家新一年如虎添翼!

 
At Thu Feb 18, 11:44:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger laichungleung said...

I typed "ying" and it's number 8 on the list under Cantoneseinput. That's what you want right?

 
At Sat Feb 27, 03:33:00 a.m. GMT, Blogger Snowdrops said...

Oh thank you LCL, you're absolutely right. Thanks so much for pointing the correct transliteration of the word in English! I don't know how I came to pronounce that word as "yin" rather than "ying", I guess it really goes to show I'm losing my mother tongue, arrrgh!

Am correcting my passage now, thanks so much again :) (and btw it sucks but I still haven't figured out how to change the 結尾 into something else... am going to leave this for a while until my muse came back, thanks for your honest opinion though).

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Viewfinder...

Where are you from?

Que sera sera...

Feed my pet!

Currently getting stuck in...

Have just finished...

Me, Anime...

A bunch of snowdrops by any other name...

SNOWDROPS
S is for Sweet
N is for Natural
O is for Open-hearted
W is for Worldly
D is for Dedicated
R is for Romantic
O is for Original
P is for Perfectionist
S is for Special
What Does Your Name Mean?